субота, 30 березня 2013 р.

Test in Reading 7th form


Test in Reading 7th form
The Old Woman and the Doctor
An Old Woman became almost totally blind because of an illness of the eyes. She went to consult a Doctor. The Doctor examined the woman. She said she would pay him a lot of money if she recovered, and nothing if she didn't.
The Doctor began his treatment and every time he paid the Old Woman a visit he took away with him some furniture or some picture, a silver plate or a silver cup, forks, knives or spoons.
When the treatment was over, there was nothing left. The Old Woman saw that the house was empty and she refused to pay the Doctor the promised money. The Doctor took the Old Woman to the court but she was ready with her defense.
The woman said: "The Doctor has told you the right facts. I agreed to pay him a lot of money if I recovered and nothing if I didn't. Now the Doctor says I have recovered but I say that I'm blinder than ever. I can prove what I say. When my eyes were bad I could at any rate see well enough to know that there is much furniture and other things in my house. But now I can't see anything there at all."

1) True or false?
1) An Old Woman became totally blind.
2) The Doctor took nothing for his treatment.
3) Soon there was nothing left in the house.
4) The house was empty.
5) In the court the Old Woman was ready with her defense.
6) The Doctor has told the court the right facts.

2) Answer the questions:
1. Why did the old woman go to consult a doctor?
2. How did the doctor treat the old woman?
3. Did the old woman pay the promised money?
4. Where did they go to solve the problem?

3) Match the English phrases with their Ukrainian equivalents:
Totally blind                                   нанести візит
To consult a doctor                          я одужав
To examine a woman                   абсолютно сліпий
To pay a visit                                 відвідувати лікаря
I’ve recovered                             оглянути жінку
Promised money                       в будь-якому разі
At any rate                                     обіцяні гроші

4) Put 5 questions to the sentence   
An Old Woman became totally blind because of an illness.


1 коментар: